Monday, February 9, 2015

At last, the glorious Stonewall Brigade

Brig. Gen. Elisha F. "Bull" Paxton
Commander of the Stonewall Brigade
KIA May 3, 1863

So it took me quite a while, but I delivered on my earlier promise and finally got some pictures taken of the five regiments of the Stonewall Brigade: the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 27th, and 33rd Virginia Infantry. I'm very happy with these miniatures, but for some reason I don't think the camera does them proper justice. It seems like the paint is more bright/ glossy than the really are. But oh well. You may just have to take my word for it ;)

Most of my figures are from Perry Miniatures (there is one sergeant in the 27th which is an Old Glory fig) and are predominantly from their plastic range -- although there are metal figures sprinkled in there. The flags are from GMB Designs excellent range of flags. The brigade received these 2nd Bunting Issue flags before the 2nd Manassas Campaign in August, 1862 and retained them until after Gettysburg. They are based 3 figures/base as the group I game with uses Regimental Fire and Fury rules. Based on the brigade's strength at Chancellorsville, the units should be either 7 or 8 bases.

2nd Virginia
4th Virginia
27th Virginia
Most of the men are outfitted in simple shell jackets, although some are wearing frock coats and sack coats.

33rd Virginia
This unit is a mix of metal and plastic miniatures/ shell jackets, frock coats, and a couple sack coats. I read somewhere that the 33rd was outfitted in frock coats (although I'm sure you could have some frocks in ANY Confederate regiment) so I decided I'd do a mix of shells and frocks. And I realize that sack coats weren't very common in the ANV after the initial months of the war, but I needed some more figures to finish the unit -- so historical accuracy had to take a bit of a back seat.


The entire Stonewall brigade arrayed for battle

Deployed on the left flank of the fruit bowl!
The brigade commander supervises the units' deployment

After not seeing much action on May 1 and 2, the Stonewall Brigade was heavily engaged on the morning of the third day as Jackson's corps assaulted the entrenched Federals around the Chancellorsville crossroads. The brigade eventually helped to break through the enemy's lines, but only after sustaining 494 casualties of the approximately 1500 men that were engaged. One historian has stated that this was the last great battle of that vaunted brigade. When the wounded Jackson heard how is old command charged the enemy chanting, "Remember Jackson," he was overwhelmed. He responded by say: "the men of the brigade will be, someday, proud to say to their children, 'I was one of the Stonewall Brigade.' They are a noble body of men."


No comments:

Post a Comment